Title: Operations Supervisor
Type: Full Time
Function: Production / Distribution Support
Division: PT - Rings, Liners and VSG - Rings & Liners
Location: Sparta, MI, United States
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
First-line supervisor responsible for hourly production/distribution employees in a designated area on a single shift. Duties include coordinating manpower requirements, maintaining quality within established specifications, arranging for repair of equipment, maintaining discipline, providing for on-the-job training and administering other personnel functions.
This position will be a full time position on 3rd shift.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Directly supervises and coordinates activities associated with the production of cast iron piston rings and shims. (ID and OD snag, splitting, finish grind, paint and wrap, heat treat, final inspect and packaging/shipping)
- Supervises, in a back-up role, foundry activities associated with charging, operating, and religning furnaces; pouring molten metal into molds, making molds, and maintaining patterns.
- Observes machines and equipment for malfunction and orders adjustments or repairs, or directs workers to make adjustments or repairs.
- Works closely with engineering and maintenance on new installations, plus changes to present equipment.
- Obtain maximum efficient use of manpower and equipment while meeting plant requirements and delivery schedules.
- Coordinates job postings with department needs and assists in the effective utilization of manpower.
- Monitors the tools, materials and supplies; initiates requests through the purchasing area as needed.
- Continuously reviews and if necessary updates the production data and job routing documents, work instructions, qualification forms, etc.
- Monitors coordination needs and takes appropriate action in own and other operational areas.
- Participates in quality and scheduling meetings in own and also in related departments.
- Ensures that personnel are trained and instructed in proper work procedures, quality standards, and other necessary instructions to develop capable operators.
- Assists in the training of other supervisory personnel.
- Keeps abreast of budget and all operating costs involving plant equipment.
- Schedules work according to employee qualifications and priority of job; expedites jobs according to priority while ensuring efficient and continuous operations.
- Sees that company policies and programs are effectively made known; cooperates and assists in the development of effective communications.
- Disciplines department personnel as needed; administers union contract; enforces company policies; handles oral and written grievances.
- Be conscious of cost reduction possibilities, installing approved cost reduction programs.
- Work cooperatively with rest of supervisory team in order to maintain appropriate levels of supervision including all shifts within the 24 hour scheduling.
- Estimate material and labor for cost purposes to be presented for project approval.
- Recommends projects for research and development on machines, equipment, methods and processes.
- Development of personnel in production department.
- Bachelor Degree, preferably within a Technical or Engineering related field
- Minimum of 3 years supervisory experience within a manufacturing environment.
- Experience within a union environment, foundry environment and heavy industrial environment preferred.
- Demonstrates leadership ability, conflict resolution and problem solving.
- Experience in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to communicate with all levels of management and hourly employees.
- Keep abreast of technical changes and improvements by being willing to participate in courses and seminars and/or by reading trade publications.
- All employees will abide by their location’s EH&S policy endorsed by the local management, comply with the legal and other requirements and operational controls established under its EHSMS, work toward achieving established objectives and targets, and conform to procedures consistent with the ISO 14001 standard. All employees will also understand all of the environmental aspects of his/her job. An employee should report, and if necessary stop, any activity that does not conform to the policy or may injure himself/herself.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee must have the ability to maneuver around plant machinery, work near moving mechanical parts and work in an environment with varying temperatures. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
- Capable of providing support as requested by supervisor.